How to install the Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 Outlook Client
SynopsisThis guide will show you how to set up and install Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 Outlook client for Outlook.
Applicable toAll SherWeb hosted CRM accounts.
- administrative rights to log into the Control Panel
- Outlook 2003, Outlook 2007 or Outlook 2010 (32-bit client only)
- a SherWeb assigned CRM license user
- a minimum of 1gb of RAM
- Windows XP with SP2 or Windows Vista 32 bit or 64bit
- a CRM site created in the Control Panel
Please check the CRM 4.0 Compatibility guide FAQ #845: CRM 4.0 Compatibility Guide
Part I: Computer Installation
Note: Before installing either plan, please speak with your local administrator or the person responsible for your CRM organization. Only customers who have purchased the Advanced Plan may choose to Install Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook with Offline access. However, it is NOT recommended to install Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook with Offline access if you are using a desktop computer or an older notebook or laptop.
- Download Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 Outlook client.
- A Windows security window will appear. Click on Save and save it on your desktop.
- When the download is complete, click on Close.
- Create a folder on your desktop and name it “CRM Client”.
- Drag and drop the Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 Outlook client into the folder that you created in step 4.
- Double click on the folder.
- Double click on the file.
- A Windows security warning window will appear. Accept it by clicking on Run.
- A pop-up window will appear asking you where to extract the file. Keep the default location and click on OK.
- When the extraction is complete, click on OK.
- Double click on the setup client icon to start the installation.
- Depending on your Windows version, a pop-up window may appear to put the installation files up to date. Click on the green checkmark.
- Depending on your Windows version, a pop-up window may appear asking for installation privileges. Click on Continue to proceed with the installation.
- CRM will create some temporary files. You will then be prompted to choose your installation type. Select Install Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook (Recommended) or Install Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook with Offline access as per the recommendations of your CRM administrator and plan type.
Note: If any component fails to install, click on Back and retry again. If this still does not work, contact your system administrator and do not attempt to continue the installation.
- The License Agreement window will appear. Check I accept this license agreement and then click on I Accept to continue with the installation
- The setup wizard will run a quick scan on required components to install CRM successfully. In most cases, you will be required to install additional components. Click on Install and allow the application to download and install the additional required components.
- If the installation is successful, all the components will receive a green check mark. Click on Next only if all components installed successfully.
Note: Windows Vista Users installing Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook with Offline access may receive the following warning message: Indexing service is not running. Please start specified service. Service CiSvc was not found on computer…The reason for this error is that the CRM 4.0 Outlook client uses the indexing service of pre-Vista operating systems and not the new Windows Search Service that comes installed with Vista. Failure to install this service limits the capability of word and case matching within the help files of the CRM Outlook client. Please refer to the FAQ #108: How to activate the Microsoft Indexing service for Windows Vista.
- The setup wizard will now ask you where you would like to install the CRM application. Choose the location or accept the default one and then click on Next.
- A System requirements window will now validate your installed services and features. Click on Next only if all services and features have a green checkmark. If any service or feature has failed to install, contact your local administrator to address the problems and then click on Back to rerun the system requirements verification.
- Once the installation of the CRM Outlook client is finished, click on Close to finalize the installation.
Part II: Outlook configuration
- After the successful installation of the CRM client, you will now need to have it configured for it to work in Outlook. To do so, open Outlook.
- You will now be presented with the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Configuration Wizard. Click on Next to continue with the installation.
- Close Outlook.
- You will now be asked where you will sign into the CRM. Click on An online service provider and then click on Next.
- Enter the Web address of your CRM installation and then click on Next.
- A pop-up box will appear. Enter your username and password, your email address and password that you would use to access your Exchange or POP mail, SharePoint site, Webmail or your Control Panel, and then click on OK.
- The wizard will ask for your confirmation via the Customer Experience Improvement Program. Check the box to indicate your participation or leave it blank if you decline, and then click on Next.
- The wizard will now do a final System Requirements validation. Proceed to correct any errors that are not check marked green and then click on Next.
- CRM will now configure. If successful, you should receive a Configuration Complete screen. Click on Finish.
- Open Outlook.
- Enter your username and password when asked, and CRM will start initializing in the background.
- Once synchronization is complete, a new CRM toolbar will appear. You can start using CRM right away.
If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.
KeywordsCRM, install, Outlook, Microsoft Dynamics CRM
Was this article helpful?Yes No
Thank you for your feedback!
Please let us know how we can improve this FAQ articleSubmitCancel