How to set up email on Android with ActiveSync
SynopsisThis general guide will help you configure your Exchange account on an Android device using ActiveSync.
Applicable toAll Android ActiveSync users
You must have:
- an Exchange 2007, 2010, 2013 or 2016 account with ActiveSync enabled
- an Android device
- an internet connection (Cellular data or wi-fi)
Android is an open source operating system. Combine that with the ever-growing list of available mail apps, and it becomes clear that there is no one definitive ActiveSync setting that will work for all devices. For example, with some devices, your username is simply your email address; for others, it is your Sam Account Name.
Android ActiveSync settings usually require some combination of the following:
- Username (email address or Sam_Account_Name)
There are several possible ways to set up your account. However, the steps are usually similar:
- Open your mail app
- Select Add account
- Select Microsoft Exchange or Corporate Account
- Enter your username, domain, password and server (see below for more details)
- Check Use SSL certificate
- Do not check Accept all SSL certificates
- If a port is required, enter: 443
- Accept the security policy
- You may have the option to choose which mailbox features you want to sync (calendar, contacts, tasks, reminders)
- You may have the option to choose how much mail to sync (3 days, 1 week, 1 month, etc.)
If you are unsure, please ask your administrator or contact us.
Your username can be either your email address, or your Sam Account Name. Start by trying your email address; it that fails, try using your Sam Account Name.
To find your Sam Account Name, log in to your Control Panel – you will find it listed below your Username in the Contact Information section of the home page. If you are an administrator, first select the user, and then look at the Contact Information section.
Note: Your Sam Account Name usually looks something like your email address, with a maximum of 20 characters.
Domain & Server
Use the chart below to find your DOMAIN and SERVER. Find the version of Exchange you use (ex: Exchange 2013), and then user the corresponding DOMAIN (ex: S12) and SERVER (ex: webmail12.sherwebcloud.com). Your server name is always the address that you use to access your Webmail (OWA). If you are unsure, please ask your administrator or contact us.
Once you have found the necessary settings, you can setup your mailbox on your Android device.Note:
If you’ve tried with your email address and it does not work, try again with your Sam Account Name.
If it fails after trying both your email address and your Sam Account Name, contact your administrator or contact us directly; it is possible that ActiveSync is not enabled for your mailbox, or that you have reached the limit of devices that can be associated with it.
If you have any question, please browse our other FAQs, or contact us directly.
KeywordsExchange, ActiveSync, email, setup, set up, Android
Was this article helpful?Yes No
Thank you for your feedback!
Please let us know how we can improve this FAQ articleSubmitCancel